Tuesday, August 19, 2008

Education: May it not be divisive!

Growing up the son of two educators (Mom - high school English Dad- high school History/Government) I was in school for a large chunk of my day. Until I was the age of sixteen I rode everyday with my parents to/from school. This means that you arrive early and leave later than other students. I feel like growing up I experienced all three educational camps at once: Public, Private/Christian, and Home School. I went to Leeds High School (Public), was taught my classes by followers of Jesus (Mom and Dad = Christians), and when we got home an environment for teaching was always there as my parents specifically knew what my assignments were and how I was doing (for the record: no cheating ever happened). Many times at home my parents counseled and aided my brothers and I on other subjects as well. This was a unique experience for me. However, I wasn't fully aware of the dissension that this issue may have in the local church. Some have made this a right and wrong issue thus hindering relationships and making this issue into something that potential can become very divisive. Parents are led to parent and make decisions based on what is best for their children. Many factors play a part in the decision that many parents make. It saddens me that at times opinions, snide remarks, and judgmental attitudes accompany how we think others should parent. Check out this video from Josh Harris. He points out a very important point that this isn't an educational issue, but a Gospel issue.

2 comments:

Lindsay said...

Amen! That was a really great and fitting post - especially for those of us who have to start really thinking about what it is we want to do in regards to education. It seems the FM area has a stigma against home-schooling all togther, as well as the Christian-schooled people "v." public schooled people debate. What's interesting to me is that it seems to be the "Christians" who have the strongest opinions about it all.

Shannon Moser said...

This is a great challenge to all parents and future parents. I know for a fact it is so easy to compare your parenting to other's style of parenting and that includes how you educate your children. What realy matters is that we keep in mind that if we have differing opinions of other's parenting style they may feel the same way about yours. We need to keep in mind that we are all trying to do what is right by the Lord for your child, and each child's needs are going to be different. So when we begin to judge other's parenting styles let us remember to stop and pray for them and Your own parenting decisions.