Friday, August 8, 2008

Hymn Of The Week: How Deep The Father's Love

One of the most powerful, theological rich songs that I know of. Written in 1995 by Stuart Townend. Check out this version by Mars Hill Seattle band E-Pop.

How deep the Father's love for us
How vast beyond all measure
That He would give His only Son
To make a wretch His treasure

How great the pain of searing loss
The Father turns His face away
As wounds which mar the Chosen One
Bring many sons to glory


Behold the Man upon a cross
My guilt upon His shoulders
Ashamed, I hear my mocking voice
Call out among the scoffers

It was my sin that held Him there
Until it was accomplished
His dying breath has brought me life
I know that it is finished


I will not boast in anything
No gifts, no powr's, no wisdom
But I will boast in Jesus Christ
His death and resurrection

Why should I gain from His reward?
I cannot give an answer
But this I know with all my heart
His wounds have paid my ransom

3 comments:

Alex D said...

Great selection.

Unknown said...

I love that song... We need some of that good song selection over here at Temple... Instead of more love... more power....

Matt Heltzel said...

That's cheating Brett. There's gotta be like some unwritten rule that a song is only a hymn if written before 1970 or something. Suggestion though, if you ever perform this, read Isaiah 53 with it... Like do verse 1 and then read some of the chapter, then verse 2 and then some more... It's eerie how closely related the song and the passage are, and it's incredibly moving... I did it once for my senior project and I hadn't rehearsed it with the scripture and almost lost it.. Anyways, you win this week. :D