Friday, January 9, 2009

My Grandfather: My family and my friend Pt. 2

Proverbs 22:6 commands parents to: "Train up a child in the way he should go; even when he is old he will not depart from it." My grandfather, Oscar Moser (a.k.a. Ozzie), trained my father, Larry to raise me a certain way, to teach me, to put up with me and to ultimately love me despite my faults, disobedience, and times of disrespect growing up.

I had the privilege recently of interviewing my Grandpa over the Christmas holiday. Enjoy.

Saved From Wrath (Brett): "I've noticed over the years that when we play cards - you often slam cards down on the table. What do you wish to accomplish with this tactic? What do you want to communicate to your opponents?"

Grandpa Moser: "I hope that it throws my opponents off base. I hope it keeps them in check. Sometimes I do it as a sign of frustration - and sometimes I do it as a sign of joy."

SFW: "I've heard this legendary story of you shooting a bunch of ducks with three shots - tell me that story"

GM: "One day Bob, Carl, and I went up to hunt by Chase Lake and there was a barley field that the ducks were feeding in. There was a NW wind so we went against the wind and came from the SE side. The ducks were on a side hill and there was going to be some crawling involved. Bob and Carl said, 'Na you can't do that'. I crawled down in a ravine and then belly crawled for a while until I got right on top of 'em. I finally got in position where I was right there. I stood up and yelled 'HEY' and shot three times. I ended up with 18 Drakes and 3 Hens for a total of 21."

SFW: "Didn't you get fined for shooting oh 16 more than the legal daily limit?"

GM: "I couldn't get fined cause at that time there was no limit."

SFW: "Your favorite sport is softball - you've played for over 40 years and you are now over 80 - do you plan to continue playing?"

GM: "It really depends on my ankle...but if my ankle is healthy I'll go, but I might have to have surgery for that ankle to go - but if I can't I will most definetely be managing as long as I can."

SFW: "Does it bother you that opposing teams bring the outfield in for your at-bats during softball games?"

GM: "Not really....actually I like it cause then I can hit it over their heads...ha...ha..ha!"

SFW: "You drove school bus for 40 years as well - what is one thing from that experience that you can share with me?"

GM: "I had to be firm with the kids. They needed to obey the rules or they were expelled from the bus."

SFW: "What is one of the mischievous moments from when you were young that you could share with me?"

GM: "Well one day we were hunting gophers with our sling-shots and rocks and we couldn't get this one so we decided that we were going to 'smoke him out' - We went and got some grass and matches and proceeded to try and 'smoke him out' - we had 3 different holes that we lit some grass on fire.......We ended up leaving and sometime later - we realized that we had burned down the pasture....there was a digger and plow that came so the fire wouldn't spread."

SFW: "Aside from knowing Jesus Christ what is your biggest accomplishment in life?"

GM: "Getting married and having 9 children."

SFW: "What was the best part of having 9 kids and what was the most challenging part?"

GM: "The best part was loving them all - and that they were all healthy. The most challenging part was startin' out with 2 daughters and then I went for the boys."

I am proud of my Grandfather because he is my family and he is my friend - along w/being one of the most joyful people I know. He laughs more than most - and lights matches more than most - as that's his version of an air freshener. He closed our interview with this, "Anytime you want to interview me again - just come on around!"

2 comments:

Nick Schmidt said...

Great interview Brett - Ozzie needs to be a weekly feature on Saved from Wrath!

Unknown said...

As amazing as this was to read, it was even better hearing him say these answers. I love you grandpa!