Thursday, November 6, 2008

I Love My Wife: Therefore......

.....we went on a date night two weeks ago on October 24th to the opening night of High School Musical 3. Honestly, it has taken me 2 weeks for the pure shock of this event to wear off. Now that I am back to normal I can blog about this event without feeling the urge to punch myself in the throat.

We apparently picked the wrong showing to go to. Since my wife had just given birth 8 days earlier and was still in recovery mode, we went to the 7 o'clock show instead of the 5 other showings that night that were later. Mistake 1 - this is when all the girls 12 and under came to the showing. Although there were some annoying parts being in a sold out theater with this crowd the cultural implications that I observed were quite important
  • It amazes me that surrounding a movie there can be this engulfing type culture that has been born out of a production that captures the minds, attentions, and passions of kids. I know Disney has been doing this for years - but the obsession came true as I saw a picture of worship as the night went on. As the lights dropped - the place erupted with cheering. Two girls in the front of the theater got up and led the crowd in a chant. "I say High School, you say Musical.....High School _______....High School ________. I say Senior you say Year....Senior ______, etc." It was at this point that I knew I was in for a treat. After every song in the movie - there was immediate/loud applause and cheers. At the end of the movie people were on their feet clapping, dancing, and singing along.
  • Another observation made was that I only saw 2 other dads at this movie with their girls. I saw a handful of moms, grandmothers, babysitters, and nannies. This reinforces the truth that Fathers in our culture don't really put family first - but put themselves, the bar, the remote, the job, or the project at home before spending time with their kids.
  • Lastly - this movie was clean - but provides a foundational framework that provides the fantasy high school dream that is not even close to reality. This fantasy land of the perfect couple - accompanied with gossip, backbiting, and popularity - gives the framework for young girls to desire this fairytale - and to do anything to attain it - which in my opinion - is very sad.
Like I said I love my wife so I attended this movie......it was musically catchy and creative - but more importantly to me it was culturally insightful. More important than anything I observed that night - it was about my wife and serving her.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

so how many thumbs up....7?...8?......