Thursday, November 13, 2008

Kenny Chesney: "I think I speak for the crowd"

My lovely wife is from the state of Montana. Every time we head west to visit we crank up the radio and listen to country music. Last night we put the kids to bed and watched the CMA awards. I've always thought country musicians write songs that are the most honest, in your face, and passionate personal reflections. Comparative to other music, this is what puts country music into a distinctive category. If Contemporary Christian artists wrote with such honesty - who knows, the songs might say a little more about the glory and majesty of Jesus Christ (although there are some that do this).

This leads me to the sad cultural reality that the lyrics of Kenny Chesney's new song, Everybody Wants to go to Heaven represent. The song closes with these three lines:
Everybody wanna go to heaven
But nobody wanna go now
I think I speak for the crowd
There is truth in this lyric. Nobody wants to die and go to heaven because we have put our treasure right here on earth. Sadly, I think some Christians have bought into this as well. Our treasure being Christ has been replaced by this party called life (as "natural/sinful" beings rather than the resurrected beings that should long to be with Jesus). We don't get what Paul says in 1 Cor. 7 - "This is what I mean, brothers: the appointed time has grown very short. From now on, let ...... those who deal with the world as though they had no dealings with it. For the present form of this world is passing away."

Chesney says he "thinks he speaks for the crowd" and I would say he is right on here....even though I don't know his point in writing this song (as it is a fun Caribbean country song).

The truth is as I've heard one Pastor say, "If you are not a Christian - this world is the closest thing to heaven that you will ever experience....conversely if you are a Christian - this world is the closest thing to hell that you will ever experience." May followers of Jesus Christ want to go to heaven - because of the glory and majesty of Jesus Christ.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

I'm all for what you're saying with this post.

But I can't support anyone saying anything positive about country music.