Wednesday, July 2, 2008

Prepping for Youth Tonight

This afternoon I realized that my youth pastor skills are kind of slipping. I am leaving the church soaking wet after I have failed to tie water balloons correctly for the past hour. Many popped and the water sprayed all over. Many broke after I put them in the bucket. I used to be able to tie balloons with water in them in my sleep. What is wrong with me? I think I have my mind on my wife maybe too much today (I don't think we can ever think about our wives too much). She was doing a massive cleaning/rearranging/painting the house project today and I can't help but think how surprised I will be to walk in the house later.

Anyways this summer I have been challenging our youth to go through a book entitled Do Hard Things: A Teenage Rebellion Against Low Expectations by Alex and Brett Harris. It has been a good study as we have discussed expectations and how God has been leading them as they discover His will these teenager years. The book starts with this quote on how expectations are just altogether low for teenagers.

"Most people don't expect you to understand what we're going to tell you in this book. And even if you understand, they don't expect you to care. And even if you care, they don't expect you to do anything about it. And even if you do something about it, they don't expect it to last."

Oh yes, and did I mention that Walker Texas Ranger wrote the Foreword for the book. If you know of a teenager that enjoys reading pick this book up for them today. It will be well worth their time.

1 comment:

Matt Heltzel said...

Chuck Norris writing the foreward just sold a copy to me