Wednesday, July 9, 2008

Saved From Wrath III

Wrath: An attribute of God, the doctrine that God intensely hates all sin.

As I have been saved from sin, I have also been saved from God's fury and righteous attribute to hate sin - as my sin has been taken by Jesus on the cross. Although I am still sinful in the flesh, Jesus continues to take my sin as I repent.

Wayne Grudem gives us this thought provoking statement in Systematic Theology (Zondervan, 1994). "As with the other attributes of God, this is an attribute for which we should thank and praise God. It may not immediately appear to us how this can be done, since wrath seems to be such a negative concept. Viewed alone, it would arouse only fear and dread. Yet it is helpful for us to ask what God would be like if he were a God that did not hate sin. He would then be a God who either delighted in sin or at least was not troubled by it. Such a God would not be worthy of our worship, for sin is hateful and it is worthy of being hated."

No comments: