Tuesday, July 1, 2008

Summer = Modesty


One day during a lunch I asked a female student from our youth group (to make things clear - I was not alone with this student - her father was there as well) if she believes that Christian women know that the way they dress has the power to provoke the eyes of Christian brothers. She responded with a resounding "Yes". My follow-up question was do you believe that some Christians know this fact, but dress a certain way anyways/regardless? She paused and thought for a moment and then responded with another definitive "Yes".

In the frigid North it seems that when the summer months hit - modesty becomes an issue that we talk about more frequently. I was just at a week of high school camp and modesty was talked about. Our culture says that.....
  1. This is our time to get tan - Our culture has this obsession with dark skin - Why, I do not know, but perhaps magazines, celebrities, and Baywatch has contributed to this?
  2. This is our time to show off what we think we've got - usually this is done to show everyone how hard you've been working out all year to get that chiseled bod (me, umm not so much) or how many times you've been to the tanning bed since you are already tan by June 1st - most of the time by June 1st we haven't even cracked 70 so being tan by June 1st is pretty impossible unless you venture out to a tanning saloon beforehand.
  3. That dressing with the least amount of clothing is practical - I mean we are literally 'cooler' dressing with less on when it is 90 compared to when we go with layers when it is 20. Marketing uses this to display ads, commercials, etc.
  4. For Men - wearing your shorts low and without a belt is a good thing - allowing everyone at your job or when you are out to see your boxers, buttocks, and underwear is apparently something you just have to do - Check out what the new Flint, MI police chief has done to 'crack' down on this problem. Many times I believe we just talk about women being immodest, but men don't think on this issue enough either.
  5. For Women - wearing short shorts/skirts, revealing tops = getting noticed = which whether male (in #4, not wearing short skirts) or female goes to an attitude of pride (lifting yourself up).
Now when Paul speaks to the issue of modesty in the New Testament I believe it is important to distinguish that he is speaking to BELIEVERS. Paul is speaking to those that follow Jesus and declare Him as LORD in their lives. Which means to me practically, I can't get frustrated about going to the pool with my daughter and getting upset about everyone showing off their bods and wearing next to nothing - unless it is a Christian family swimming hour - which I don't think exists unless your church has it's own pool - or you rent a community pool for a pool party - or your church builds a community pool for the community (which is a missional/outreach idea - don't what I think about yet on this one). Practically the response I have to have is - THESE PEOPLE NEED JESUS - that is their number 1 issue and primary need. People without Jesus should behave in an immodest way - which means that modesty isn't even on their radar....so our responsibility is to put the Gospel on their radar through Jesus Christ and allow the Holy Spirit to change people hearts - which will transfer into more and more understanding why modesty is important as a response to Jesus - rather than just a bunch of Christians following their so-called 'stupid' rules.

What is my response to followers of Jesus dressing immodestly? Does it disturb me that my sisters in Christ don't get this sometimes? Yes! It frustrates me that followers of Jesus would dress in a way that as they go out and about can produce either of the next two.....
  1. Fellow brothers and sisters may be tempted to lust
  2. Enemies of the Cross can sit, salivate, stare, and say whatever comments they want about my brothers and sisters in Christ.
How is modesty attained and how does it become ingrained into a lifestyle that followers of Jesus see as a priority. Here are a couple suggestions
  1. Sanctification has to be a priority - do you and I want to be more like Jesus or not
  2. We see how we dress as a response to the Gospel - if we dress trashy - we really show how we feel about the Gospel.
  3. Have a system in place to have an accountability in this. For married persons - have your husband and wife call you out on this when you are dressed immodestly - you have that responsibility to each other as you are 'one'. For the teenager ask your parents for their counsel - girls have your father approve of what you are wearing. Those of you in college - find someone who is older than you and is the same sex as you and have them keep you accountable in this area - don't pick someone who won't shoot straight with you either. That wouldn't help at all.
Lastly, I am not a legalistic/fundamentalist type who land blasts (is that even a word?) people on this issue. I believe in an approach that is loving on this issue and to approach this issue with sensitivity as it is an issue that people struggle with. I like style (even though I really don't have any). I like lookin' good - but most of all I like Jesus magnified and lifted up to be SUPREME - which HE is. So I encourage you to respond with modesty this summer - or whenever you go somewhere warm when it is cold back home in ND - as a response to the Gospel.

6 comments:

Unknown said...

Preach it brotha!

Steve said...

I agree, men need to leave the "plumbers" shorts in the closet.

Alex D said...

Great post. I also think that sometimes we Christian guys don't take responsibility for our lusting after scantily clad women. We are quick to blame it all on the girls. Granted how they dress does not help, yet we are ultimately the ones who do the lusting. Girls need to be held responsible for how they dress and we guys need to be held responsible for the act of lusting and not try and pass the blame solely onto the girls.

May Christ be glorified in our garb!

Lindsay said...

I agree with adeck - there is a balance there, on both ends. I find it really attractive when I see my hubby actually CONCIOUSLY look away when he sees someone "scantily" dressed, or even when those undie/bra commercials on TV. And for married women, it's good to get your hubby's ideas on "revealing," because we (women) may not think something is revealing, but hubby might just might say it is.

whoop_t_do_2000 said...

Regarding: Lastly, I am not a legalistic/fundamentalist type who land blasts (is that even a word?) people on this issue.

I believe the word you are looking for is "lambastes"

There is a time and a season for everything. <---Bible says so!

If God had wanted us to run around naked, we would have been born that way!!! (tongue in cheek)

Let's all keep those provocative body parts covered until the appropriate time.

Just tooting off,
Joel

malayia said...

I thought this was really interesting considering we just talked about it. Thanks!