Saturday, May 24, 2008

Cribbage: Brett and Shannon's Pastime

My wife and I spent some quality time together this afternoon playing cribbage. We hadn't played in a while so that was a good thing for Brett as I will explain later. During our collegiate years we spent many times passing the time playing this card game. Cribbage was invented in the early 1600s by Sir John Suckling, an English courtier, poet, gamester and gambler.

Perhaps the most enjoyable part of the game for me as I play against my wife is the stealing and taking of her points. Perhaps even better for me than the points is the observation of my wife's reactions. Her reactions - I can't predict them - that's what makes it so entertaining. Since we hadn't played in a while my wife forgot a couple of easy points that I had to take from her as I trailed the entire game. I ended up winning 121-117. During the course of the game I stole a total of 6 points which in the end proved to be vital to my success. My wife calls me a "thief" for taking her points, but that's part of the game. The point of this post is to show that playing simple games with your wife is enjoyable. Even though I stole her points and used the momentum to seal a victory - the real worth and value of this pastime is being together - enjoying one another and having a great time with my best friend.

1 comment:

Caleb said...

When Rebekah and I play, she always steals my points. Not cool.