Saturday, May 17, 2008

A Musical Shift

During the years of 1990 - 1998 I ventured into an OCD mode with Contemporary Christian Music. I mean I had t-shirts of bands, multiple tapes (until I got a CD player/discman in 1996), and of course a yearly subscription to CCM magazine. My favorite band had to be Geoff Moore & The Distance. I also was a "Jesus Freak" and thought that the Jesus Freak tour was the best thing since sliced bread. I remember my mother challenging my wisdom on spending as I would go to the local christian book store to listen to demos and eventually get some new music. She said, "Do you really think that you will be listening to that music 10-15 years from now?" To which I usually replied with an eye roll or anything else a defiant son would do when his mother was trying to give him advice at age 14. Well the day has arrived when I don't really listen to any Contemporary Christian Music anymore. The days of Code of Ethics, Bleach, WhiteHeart, Holy Soldier, Plankeye, Audio A, PFR, and Big Tent Revival are thank goodness OVER!

So what am I listening to these days. I basically listen to worship music. I do listen to the Passion worship leaders (Tomlin, Redman, Hall, Crowder, Fee), but most of my music listening consists of lesser known independant church bands that lead congregations weekly. My favorites are Michael Bleeker of The Village Church in Texas and the various Mars Hill Worship Bands (Ex Nihilo, The Parsons, Team Strike Force, and BCG -Ball and Chain Gang) from Seattle. The musical creativity of the Mars Hill Bands is amazing - here are some songs to check out that are my personal favorites. Gloria, How Deep The Father's Love For Us, Emphasis 1, Emphasis 2, All My Tears, My Jesus I Love Thee, Yahweh , Here Is Love, The Glory of God, Praise to the Lord, The Almighty, Destructor, Every Tongue Sing, Christ Is Risen, Holy, Holy, Holy These are some great mp3's that you can download (completely free) or you can subscribe to the Michael Bleeker or Mars Hill Church music podcasts. I am grateful that this musical shift has occured in my life or else I might have more CD's that look like this.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

I still think Geoff Moore and the Distance stand the test of time. I still listen to their CD's all the time. Saw their reunion concert last summer in NY and their talent as a band is still amazing.

rfranchu said...

yeah, i really dig Red Letter + the mars hill bands too. Wish there were more church house bands writing their own songs and hymn arrangements (maybe there are and i'm just not familiar with them).

p.s. I've never wired a CBG for electric amplification, but it looks and sounds easy enough.

Unknown said...

Geoff Moore and the Distance stand the test of time??? What a reunion concert that must have been... Did they sing Home Run? and was it as ridiculously dumb as it use to be?

When i listen to the songs that were posted, the lyrics just shout praises to God. Check out these deep lyrics...

Good afternoon Ladies and Gentlemen and welcome to the Dan Brock Memorial Stadium
Are you ready for an afternoon of baseball?
I hope you are
Because it's Geoff Moore and The Distance,
Going up against the big guy,The Prince of Darkness(Darkness)
It's been quiet on evolution with Geoff Moore and The Distance
That's why it's brought them to the game today
So I want you to kick back and enjoy a funfilled afternoon of Baseball(Baseball)
The teams are assembled
Are you ready?

PLAY BALL!!

The lights go on, another game day
I grabbed my bat, and headed for the plate
but the first pitch was a curve, and I was done!

(umpire) STRIKE ONE!

I stepped out of the box, looked the pitcher in the eye
you could read his lips, hey punk you're mine.
So I gave him a wink and said, "let's see what you can do"

(umpire) STRIKE TWO!

Gotta keep my eye on the ball, swing straight and true and follow through.
Don't be afraid, what-ever the call!
Because we're never alone, our coach is there to cheer us on.
well, it's the wind-up,
here comes that ball,
You gotta pray and swing, watch it till, it's goin, goin, it's gone!

oh, ohho, ohh, oh,
oh, ohho, ohh, oh,
oh, ohho, ohh, we need a home run

oh, ohho, ohh, oh,
oh, ohho, ohh, oh,
oh, ohho, we need a home run!

you know life can be like a baseball game,
We're on the same team, but were not all the same.
That's why we've got to learn to play together.

I didn't join this team to sit on the bench,
I'm goin deep, swingin for the fence.
I got some friends on base, I gotta get home!

Gotta keep your eye on the ball
swing straight and true, and follow through.
Don't be afraid, what-ever the call.
Because we're never alone,
Our coach is there to cheer us on.

Well it's the wind-up,
Here comes that ball,
You gotta pray and swing,
Watch it till it's goin goin, it's gone!

oh, ohho, ohh, oh,
oh, ohho, ohh, oh,
oh, ohho, ohh, home run!
i want a home run

ho, ohho, ohh, oh,
ho, ohho, ohh, oh,
ho, ohho, i want a home run!

We are not the first to play this game,
or stand over this plate.
We are surrounded by the legacy.
I can see them in the stands,
I can see them wavin their hands.
sayin, "go, go all the way!"

(umpire) it's goin, it's going it's going,
Oh my!
it's outta here!
that baby is gone (gone)

Come on now,

oh, ohho, ohh, oh,
oh, ohho, ohh, oh,
oh, ohho, ohh, home run

Hey it's gone,gone now

oh, ohho, ohh, oh,
oh, ohho, ohh, oh,
oh, ohho, ohh, home run

Hey it's a homerun

oh, ohho, ohh, oh,
oh, ohho, ohh, oh,
oh, ohho, ohh, home run