Thursday, May 29, 2008

Nutjobs: Polygamy and it's Savior

Recently I watched the CBS 48 hours special presentation called Polygamy: A World Apart. I was introduced to the FLDS (Fundamentalist Latter Day Saints, not to be confused with the LDS - Latter Day Saints - who oppose Polygamy) leader named Warren Jeffs. I didn't really know much about this man, but became intrigued when the show quoted his followers as saying that Jeffs was their "Savior". This prophet is considered to be God's mouthpiece on earth by his followers. Aside from this Jeffs also plays a large role into the ongoing Polygamy that happens amongst the members of the FLDS. Jeffs was convicted of being an accomplice to rape in Sept. 2007 and is serving two - five year sentences in Utah. Jeffs advised woman that they were risking their eternal salvation if they did not do what he advised.......Now that is what I call a NUTJOB!

As I am working on a session to teach high schoolers in a couple of weeks this story caught my attention. I am teaching a class that is based off a section in Vintage Jesus. I have entitled the session: What Makes Jesus Superior to Other Saviors. Here are some of the texts that I have observed lately
  • Isaiah 43:11 "I, I am the LORD, and besides me there is no savior."
  • Isaiah 45:21 "There is no other god besides me, a righteous God and a Savior; there is none besides me."
  • Matthew 1:21 "She will bear a son, and you shall call his name Jesus, for he will save his people from their sins."
  • Romans 5:10 "For if while we were enemies we were reconciled to God by the death of his Son, much more, now that we are reconciled, shall we be saved by his life."

2 comments:

Matt Heltzel said...

Yeah, I've been watching a lot about that lately.. been on CNN a ton.. messsssed up

joshua.lamotte said...

Vintage Jesus - I like it, important for all to understand the sovereignty of God. This leads to understanding that, "it's not all about me!"