Wednesday, May 21, 2008

Ultrasound: God's glory through a photo

This morning I attended my wife Shannon's ultrasound of our 2nd child. I marvel at the glory of God when I think about having children and how miraculous it really is. I am not sure if the baby here is picking the ol' nose, covering the mouth, or just sucking his/her(we aren't finding out) thumb.

The ultrasound has had a significant impact on the controversial issue of abortions. According to a 2003 report entitled "Abortion vs. Ultrasound" in the Washington Times prior to ultrasound technology, pregnancy centers reported that of the 'abortion - minded' women who came in for testing and advice, about 20 to 30 percent decided to remain pregnant. With pregnancy centers using ultrasound machines, that proportion has since jumped to 80 to 90 percent.

My wife was visibly touched as was I when sitting there in the office today. Randy Alcorn in his book Why Pro Life? (Eternal Perspective Ministries, 2004) tells of the testimony of one ultrasound performed by nurse Audrey Stout. The baby "opened and closed her mouth, had the hiccups, laid back as if in a beach chair, stretching her little legs. She even held up hands so Mom could count her fingers. The mother was visibly touched." The ultrasound is a great piece of technology that I praise God for as it points to Him and His glory.

No comments: