Monday, June 9, 2008

Hymn Of The Week: I Lay My Sins On Jesus

This hymn was originally written by Horatius Bonar (1808-1889), who has been called the prince of the Scottish hymn writers. In it we are reminded of how God invites us to bring our sins to Jesus not just initially when we come to Christ for justification, but repeatedly as we continue to become trapped in the guilt and shame of our remaining sin. The version I have been listening to is a rearranged version by Eric Gilbert of Perimeter Church, a PCA church in the Atlanta area.

Verse 1
I lay my sins on Jesus,
the spotless Lamb of God;
He bears them all and frees us
from all our heavy load.
I bring my guilt to Jesus,
to wash my crimson stains
White in His blood most precious
’till not a spot remains.

Verse 2
I lay my wants on Jesus,
all fulness dwells in Him;
He healeth my diseases,
He doth my soul redeem.
I lay my griefs on Jesus,
my burdens and my cares;
He from them all releases,
He all my sorrows shares.

Ending
I take my guilt to Jesus
He rescues me from shame
Washed in His blood most precious
And called His child by name

No comments: