Tuesday, June 3, 2008

In Pursuit of Humility

This past week I got the privilege and honor to preach at MBC. I chose a very humbling portion of Scripture Philippians 2: 3-8.

Some of the resources that I used to put things together that you may want to check out are the following.
  • Mark Driscoll's sermon on humility: If anyone thinks that Mark Driscoll isn't humble - you agree with Mark - as he preaches a sermon to himself on humility. Many quotes and points for my sermon were taken from this sermon on humility.
  • John Piper and Matt Chandler's Q&A at the Resurgence Conference that I attended.
  • C.J. Mahaney's book Humility: True Greatness. Some of the quotes that didn't make my sermon transcript, but I felt necessary to share them are as follows:
"Every time I claim to be the "author" in my life and ministry of that which is actually God's gift. I'm committing cosmic plagiarism."
"Father, I want to stand as close to the cross as I possibly can, because it's harder for me to be arrogant when I'm there."
"Pride undermines unity and can ultimately divide a church. Show me a church where there's division, where there's quarreling, and I'll show you a church where there is pride."

"Humility is honestly assessing ourselves in light of God's holiness and our sinfulness."
The sermon I delivered on Sunday had more quotes and points taken from others than probably any other sermon that I've done up until this point. I was reminded recently that using others thoughts aren't bad as I was reading a quote that Charles Spurgeon gave from a sermon in 1863 in which he said, "He who will not use the thoughts of other men's brains proves he has no brains of his own."

1 comment:

Jake said...

good stuff my friend.

Just finishing CJ's book on Humility... hardest "easy read" in a long time!

Praying for you and me... that we can both stand as close to the cross as possible! Thanks Brother!